Scotstown (@1.2) vs Truagh (@4.5)

Our Prediction:

Scotstown will win

Scotstown – Truagh Match Prediction | 14-09-2019 11:30

Land was acquired in 1979 in the townland of Lisseagh and all energies were geared towards completion of our present grounds and clubhouse. Mellans Park was officially opened. Seamus Sherry then lead the juvenile charge in the latter part of the 80s winning 5 more juvenile titles and reaching a minor championship final. Our Seniors were relegated to intermediate football in 1981 but bounced back to the senior football ranks the following year. If the 1970s could be described as a decade of success on the field, the 1980s was the era of success for the club off the field. These were our first juvenile successes since the 1970. On Sunday 3rd June 1984 (Centenary Year) St. In the early 80s the McGrane (U-13) and Lee Bros. We remained in senior football until 1988 where again relegation was our fate. This was a great testament to the Club and the people of Truagh far and wide who worked tirelessly to fundraise and to give generously. At adult level our only success was in the Junior B League (Hugh Brady Cup). A very important feature of this decade was the work done at juvenile level by a hard working committee lead by Dermot Treanor and others. Cups (U-15) were won and other finals were reached.

Their plans were thrown into disarray within minutes however, as David McCague collected a second yellow card and Scotstown were down to fourteen men. Magheracloone had ended Scotstowns hopes at this stage in last years championship, and a big factor in that defeat had been Scotstowns indiscipline and concession of scoreable frees. Short of a cutting edge in attack, the Scotstown management felt it was time for a change and Orin Heaphey was sacrificed for the experienced Nicholas Corrigan. It looked like history was repeating itself in this game as Francis Caulfield and David McCague picked up yellow cards, while Damien Freeman converted a close-range free. Damien Freeman pointed yet another free to bring his personal tally to four points. Scotstown on the other hand had a fourth player enter the referees notebook when Fergal McPhillips saw yellow, but they were having their best spell of the game as half-time approached. Kieran Hughes was a constant threat, and he managed to register a point to draw the sides level again at 1-2 to 0-5 going in at the break. Damien Freeman raised the standard with a run that had the Blues defence in all sorts of trouble, but with the goal at his mercy, he blasted the ball over the crossbar to bring them all square. Eddie Beggan clashed with Tommy Freeman shortly afterwards, with both players earning a yellow card for their troubles as quality football continued to be in short supply.

Round 1[edit]

Further points from Caoimhe Mohan, Natasha Mohan and Aoibhinn Corrigan along with a well placed penalty left Truagh going in a the half time up 2-05 to 0-03. A week later Truagh travelled to hosts Armagh Harps for the Ulster Semi Final. After the break the Truagh girls did not let up. A great passage of play from Natasha Mohan and Rachel McKenna resulted in Caoimhe Mohan finding the back of the net only 15 seconds from throw in.

Truagh were very lucky to get over Inniskeen, was at the game and they could be in trouble this year with an injury or two. Currin wont be putting up much of a fight me thinks...... Senior Football looking interesting this year. Clontibret, Ballybay, Blayney and Carrick could all push Scotstown hard for the championship. Inniskeen and Doohamlet wont be going down easily, could see one of the so called big boys possibly going down, like Latton or Truagh. I see they managed to get a jersey as ugly as their style of play, very defensive with a lot of late hits going in.

Badly missed at county and by the looks of things club level also. Sean's need to pick up points soon. Dictated the game last night. Could be cut adrift by the 1st of May when the last 5pointers is played. Stephen lambe a major plus for toome having him back. Ud expect more from a team of their calibre, championship final and league final in the last 2 years plus some good young players tru in the last year or so.In junior good wins for toome and rock last night. Same applies to aughnamullen. Bring James Wilson back into that team and they have a big chance of a junior championship. Hopefully hes back before then.

Monaghan Forum

With this confidence boost, Scotstown put together another good attacking move which James Turley was on the end of to shoot for a point. Darren Hughes stepped up to blast the ball to the net and give Scotstown a foothold in the game. With Scotstown finding it hard to settle, Damien Freeman helped himself to another point to put his side two ahead. With six minutes on the clock, the Blues at last got some quality ball in to danger man Kieran Hughes at full forward. Magheracloone won a free just after the throw-in, and it was recent Kick Fada winner Shane Duffy who took the responsibility and knocked the placed ball between the posts to get his side off the mark. On this occasion the Magheracloone defence had no answer but to foul and give up a penalty. The crowd held their breath as it was difficult to tell with the strong breeze whether it was a point or not, but the umpire and referee were in no doubt and gave the score.

It was a much changed Scotstown lineup due to a variety of reasons, with many regulars absent. Scotstown faced Castleblayney at Toome for league this fixture as work continues upgrading Blayneys home ground Saint Marys Park. Emmett & Conor Caulfield got a point apiece before the break to leave the score at 3-7 to 0-6 as the sides went in. With Castleblayney now looking like scoring with every attack, the Blues defence were under some serious pressure. It was Emmett Caulfield again who led the way for the Scotstown attack to make it 0-4 to 0-2, but Blayney really took control with two goals and a point Ciaran Hanratty in particular was causing no end of problems at this stage. However, the Faughs were already finding gaps in the Blues defence and punished them with a brace of points. They gave away a penalty which was converted by Dermot Malone, and another couple of points left Castleblayney leading by 12. Castleblayney started the game well and notched two points in the opening ten minutes. Emmett Caulfield got the visitors off the mark soon after with a well taken left footed point. Conor Caulfield and Mark McDevitt got a point each for Scotstown to start chipping away at the lead.

A sun-drenched Grattan Park greeted the teams for this Senior League Division One basement battle. Inniskeen pulled one back on 25 minutes, but the momentum was firmly with Scotstown now and Emmett Caulfield got his second score in reply. David McCague levelled matters with his first point of the evening, then Kieran Hughes knocked over two more points as he became a very effective focal point of the Scotstown attack. Kieran Hughes & Brian McGinnity added further points with one in reply from the home team to leave the half-time score at Inniskeen 0-6 Scotstown 0-9. Scotstown didnt panic though, and with an Emmett Caulfield point and a converted Kieran Hughes free they began to play themselves into the game. Scotstown were bolstered by the return of some familiar faces to the starting lineup, and it was one of those, Kieran Hughes, who got Scotstown off the mark with an equalising point. They registered a further three scores in this period to put themselves 0-4 to 0-1 ahead, giving the visitors some cause for concern. Inniskeen were hoping to drag Scotstown back into the battle at the foot of the table after the Blues loss to Castleblayney in their last outing a team the south Monaghan side got a point against recently. The home side started well and got the first point of the game in the opening minutes. Inniskeen continued their good start to the game, belying their lowly status propping up the division.


The U16 team progressed well through the 15 a-side league only conceding points to Scotstown and it was Scotstown that the U16s then faced in the League Semi Final. After a result of 3-07, each, the semi final went to a replay. The replay was held on Thursday the 19th of August but unfortunately the Truagh girls lost out by three points with a final score-line of Scotstown 3-11 to Truaghs 4-05.

On 13 minutes Emmett Caulfield scored with an excellent left footed point from out the field. Ballybay were coping well enough playing into the wind and equalised soon after. There was none of the pleasant summer weather we had enjoyed earlier in the week at Ballybay today as the rain and wind blew around Pearse Park. Table toppers Ballybay replied with a score which was given without hesitation by the umpire, although some of the players and many of the spectators thought it had tailed wide at the last minute. Indeed, the visitors could have been in front by more as they kicked a number of wides during this period of dominance. Scotstown enjoyed the benefit of the wind in the first half with David McCague opening their account after 4 minutes. Paul Finlay converted a free for Ballybay at the other end to bring them back to five points behind. A mistake in the Ballybay defence gave the ball away to David McCague who found himself one on one with the goalkeeper before finishing the ball emphatically to the roof of the net. Paul Grant knocked over two excellent points from range after good work to set him up by Brian McGinnity. Darren Hughes put the Blues back in the lead with a well taken placed ball. In the closing 5 minutes of the half, Scotstown pushed on and Grant, Emmett Caulfield and David McCague kicked some excellent scores to leave the score at Ballybay 0-3 Scotstown 1-8 going in at half-time.

The second-half began with both sides swapping points Peter OHara getting the Scotstown point. Fellow substitute Tom Moyna helped himself to a point in only his second senior appearance, but the game was very even now and it Latton quickly equalised again. With seven minutes left, Ross McKenna got his third point of the match, but the Blues conceded a free in the closing minutes and Latton took the chance to level things yet again. Latton began to dictate things for a period and managed three unanswered points to make it six points apiece midway through the second period. The Blues made a change at the break with Myles Treanor coming on for Emmett Caulfield, who was making a welcome return from injury. The final whistle blew with the sides level at eight points each, meaning that Latton finish third and Scotstown fifth in the final standings. Padraig Keenan came off the bench for Scotstown for his first appearance of the season after a lengthy lay-off.