Palatine (@1.33) vs Tinryland (@3.75)

Our Prediction:

Palatine will win

Palatine – Tinryland Match Prediction | 13-09-2019 15:00

The 2019 Carlow Senior Football Championship is the 119th edition of the Carlow GAA's premier club gaelic football tournament for senior graded clubs in County Carlow, Ireland. The tournament consists of 8 teams, with the winner going on to represent Carlow in the Leinster Senior Club Football Championship. The championship starts with a group stage and then progresses to a knock out stage.

Then - after the club took a break from hurling altogether for several years - in 2001 Willie Cullen captained Palatine to another Junior Hurling Championship at the age of 52. A Junior Hurling Championship was captured in 1983, and an Intermediate one in 1985. He also scored 1-4 on the day.

The Andy Murphy Shield remains inPalatine Clubhouse. However Palatine had one morechance in the dying stages after Tinryland gifted them the ball. Final scorePalatine 2-10, Tinryland 3-7. Goals from Shane Redmond and GlenDoyle left the visitors only 2 points down. Special thanks to Palatine G.F.C who donatedtheir gate takings to the Carlow Hospice. The 8 point deficit leftTinryland supporters wondering how their team would respond in the second halfgiven that their past two second half performances were very poor. A fair result. Tinryland then took the lead forthe first time in the match with time almost up. Tinryland seniors picked up their first point of theirleague campaign in an entertaining match against their neighbours Palatine atPalatine G.F.C on Friday Night. Conditions were poor but that did not stop thehome team from taking control. After a high ball was launchedtowards their goal, the Palatine defence was unable to control the situationand the ball ended up in the back of the net. But creditto the Tinryland lads, they upped their game. The home teampressed forward and kicked the equalising point. With the help of two goals, it left the homeside leading 2-6 to 0-4 at the half time break.

Rathvilly continued to apply pressure and the sides were level for a 4th time when centre forward Ryan Sibbald slotted over a point. Superb defending by John Murphy prevented a second Rathvilly goal after a rare poor kick out from Ciaran Byrne but Rathvilly tails were up now and the margin was reduced to the minimum with another successful Conor Doyle free in the 40th minute. The announcer then told us there would be at least 2 minutes of stoppage time but with time almost up John Murphy made a scorching run from the back which resulted in a free which James McGrath duly converted to level matters once again. It got even better for the men in blue and white within 2 minutes of the re-start as a James McGrath delivery was fisted to the net by full forward Mark Lawlor to give Tinryland a 2 point lead with 28 minutes remaining. Another James McGrath point in the 35th minute after great play by Fionnan Burke extended the Tinryland lead but Rathvilly replied at the other end with another successful free from Conor Doyle. Cuan Burke was then introduced into the fray as fresh legs for his brother Fionnan and with time running out Niall Lowry was inches wide with a free which would have levelled the match. Tinryland came out early for the 2nd half and it was not hard to guess that they had got a stern team talk from the manager Martin Doyle and his assistants Niall Barrett and Paul Kenny. Doyle himself won another free for the Wicklow border men in the 43rd minute and Darragh Murphy brought the sides level once again with all to play for. Despite Rathvilly winning the 2nd half throw in it was Tinryland that went on the offensive and they were rewarded with a James McGrath point from a free after a Rathvilly player was found guilty of over carrying. It got even better for the Rathvilly men as another free was conceded by Tinryland and Darragh Murphy applied the finishing touches to edge his team ahead once again. Good play by Peter Hennessy and Cathal Gaffney ended with a Mark Lawlor point with 13 minutes remaining as Tinryland introduced International athlete Adam Murphy for Keelan Gaffney and minor player Ronan Curran for Andrew Hanley.

In the closing stages of the first half both teams traded points with Darragh Murphy for Rathvilly converting another free and James McGrath slotting over a Tinryland point in the 27th minute after good play by Rory Doyle. Half time score Rathvilly 1-3 Tinryland 0-4. On the stroke of half time Tinryland conceded another free and Conor Doyle extended the Rathvilly advantage to 2 points as referee Frank Fitzpatrick sounded the half time whistle. Tinryland responded with a successful free from Niall Lowry after a foul on Adam Dunne and when Lowry converted another 45 in the 24th minute Tinryland supporters breathed a little easier.

Leinster Senior Club Football Championship[edit]

Palatine led early on in the game, thanks in large part to a goal from Paul Reid. However, Kildavin-Clonegal had much the better of the play in the 2nd half and with a few minutes to go they led by three points. After many close-calls in county finals, Palatine finally won their fourth Senior Football Championship after a 54-year wait, defeating Kildavin-Clonegal in the 2006 final by 1-9 to 0-11.

Tinrylandsfirst senior league match against Ballinabranna ended in defeat on Friday nightin Ballinabranna. By the 15th minute the home team were level. The home team opened scoring on two minutes before Tinrylandresponded with three points from Ronan Curran, Padraig Whelan and a free fromGlenn Doyle. A pointfrom Cormac Walshe and another free from Glenn Doyle had Tinryland ahead by twopoints at half time.

A further Asca point from John Dwyer left only 2points separating the sides at this stage with 15 minutes remaining. Thesescores seemed to wake up Tinryland from their mini slumber and Dinny Farrellstretched their advantage back out to 3 points after good play by his namesakeDean. Against the run of play Asca then got a major lifeline whenfull forward Fionn Kehoe crashed the ball past Chris Townsend after a Tinrylanddefender was dispossessed. Tinryland then made sure of victory when Ronan Curran found the Asca netwith 9 minutes remaining after great combination play involving himself, ConorMcGrath and Dinny Farrell.


Despite opening the scoring seconds after the throw in with a point from a Niall Lowry 45 the Tinryland lads had to play second fiddle to the Wicklow border men who seemed intent on shredding the pre match predictions. Rathvilly got back on terms in the 6th minute with a converted free by Darragh Murphy their towering mid-fielder who was a key player throughout this absorbing game.

They were re-graded back down to Intermediate again for the 1940 season, and won that title once more in 1948, returning to Senior. This team lost to Tinryland in the 1950 final and to Ballymurphy in 1953. Much of the team that won promotion from Intermediate would go on to win the Senior championship in 1952. After relegation to Junior level following a dispute with the County Board (following a game with Milford in the early 1930s), Palatine won the Carlow Junior championship in 1936 and the Intermediate championship in 1938.

The Borris-Ballymurphy based team opened theiraccount with a point from a 45 by Eddie Byrne in the 13th minute anddespite strong play from Tinryland it was Rangers that dominated the next 10minutes scoring a point from play via John Nolan and another one from an EddieByrne free in the 17th minute. Glen Doyle with a wonderful point in the 22nd minutefinally lifted the siege after good play by Adam Dunne and Tinryland began toenjoy themselves when John Murphy levelled matters after a pass from ConorByrne. Five minutes later Tinrylandsupporters finally began to feel happy when centre back Shane Redmond crashedthe ball past the Rangers keeper after good play by Paul Broderick and ConorOToole. Try as they might Tinryland found itdifficult to break down the South Carlow team who sometimes had 14 playersdefending. The dual club started well holding on to the ball in theopening stages but it was the men in blue and white that got on the scoreboardfirst when full back John Murphy burst forward to slot over the opening pointin the 7th minute. It got even better in the 29th minute when Cormac Walsheextended the lead to 4 points after a passing movement involving himself, PaulBroderick and Conor OToole.